Sunday, August 3, 2014

Week 1 - The food swap

First week of my $20 a week grocery budget, so far so good!

Monday - Treated to lunch by Janet. Saved leftovers for lunch later in the week.

Tuesday - Lunch was leftovers from my dinner-break-fast on Sunday: chewy, texture-full brown rice topped with roasted fridge veggies (julienned carrots, on-their-way-out broccoli and red bell pepper, all tossed in sesame oil and white pepper). Simple and delicious. Went out to dinner at a new (for us) place called Genie Den with James since we didn't see each other this past weekend; it was amazing! Saved the leftover falafel and pita.

Wednesday - Had leftover falafel for lunch (note to self: learn how to make Genie Den's tahini sauce). Cooked for dinner! Garlic and sundried tomatoes lightly sauteed in olive oil in butter to toss whole wheat spaghetti with, topped with steamed broccoli, diced ripe tomatoes and freshly picked basil chiffonade. Did double duty while cooking the spaghetti and steamed the broccoli on top of it! Still need to work on not using as many pots and pans and dishes. Made enough for leftovers, one full lunch, and probably another meal too. Have two lunch boxes of leftovers ready to go for the week, and we have a staff meeting this Friday! (Free lunch :) Food swap this Saturday, trying to think of something cheap but "exotic" to bring.

Thursday - Lunch was leftovers from Monday's lunch. Probably should have eaten it earlier in the week. Dinner was leftovers from Wednesday dinner, the spaghetti.

Friday - Lunch was from the staff meeting, have more than enough leftovers for dinner. Yay :) Slightly apprehensive because James is coming over this weekend. I don't know how my fridge and pantry will survive -_-

Saturday - Food swap day!! Spent all morning baking mini lemon poppy scones and popping popcorn. Why I chose the most labor intensive items to bring is beyond me. Anyway, was still able to bring back: peach cobbler, tomatillo salsa, strawberry jam, sweet and spicy habanero jelly, oranges, pb&j cookies, wild rice mix, banana bread, croutons, granola, homemade soaps, brownie mix, and spicy pineapple marinade. Awesome haul :)

The food swap bounty: all in exchange for 12 bags
of popcorn and 12 mini lemon poppy scones!
Next time I want to try to bring something that we consume in small amounts, so making a big batch of it won't be that intensive. I saw a blog post about flavored simple syrup (although not really something I have a connection to), and I was also thinking about bringing chai concentrate, which I think would be awesome. It'd be great to have little samples too, and it would work for any season--iced or hot! I think the next one is in October, I'll have to perfect it by then. Anyway, had a couple of bites of leftover Chinese from Friday's lunch for breakfast (along with snacking on scones and popcorn). Had plenty of samples at the food swap itself. Then when James and I got home, we popped the wild rice mix into the rice cooker, then did a simple roasted vegetable mix of mushrooms, zucchini and julienned carrots. I'm really thinking about investing in a julienne peeler. Then again.. maybe not. If I don't buy one, then I'll get really good at manually julienning vegetables! Like when I didn't have a vegetable peeler at the room I rented on Catalina, I got really good at peeling stuff with a knife, a task I previously thought impossible.

Sunday - Down to SD today for my grandmother and mom's birthday. We had the leftovers from Friday's staff meeting lunch in the car on the way down for lunch, then dessert at my grandma and grandpa's. Early dinner was Thai that my dad treated us to, then more coffee/dessert at a coffee shop. By the time we got home, I was exhausted and went straight to bed.

Overall, not a bad week! Certainly the food swap gave a great mid-weekend boost in food, especially since James was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment