Thursday, December 17, 2015

Corn potage (cream corn soup)

This is a classic recipe that I always have a craving for come winter. While I'm always tempted to just keep some packets on hand, I refuse to believe that this soup is difficult to make. It's basically just corn and cream, for chrissakes. Then again, the simplest recipes can be the most challenging. It's the same with writing--saying what you want to say in fewer words is always harder than using more. But I am determined to get this corn potage soup right, packets be damned.



Because my cravings only come once or twice a year, I've never bothered to create/record my own recipe. Seems like too much effort for something I rarely eat. But I'm doing it this year!

Every year, I inevitably find these two recipes from Little Japan Mama: classic corn potage and easy corn potage. Every year, I'm inevitably tempted by the easy version. Last year, I was so tempted I stocked up excessively on cans of creamed corn. So excessively that I still had a can leftover this year. Every year, I think that this is the year that the recipe will work for me. What do they say about insanity? Oh yeah, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results -_-

So I tried the easy corn potage recipe again, and without fail, it produced incredibly subpar soup lacking in flavor. It tasted like milk with half-blended corn mixed in. Which it basically was. Even after I blended like crazy with my hand blender. So, I added about another cup of frozen corn, some dashi, lots of white pepper, and decided to try out my roommate's fancy new Vitamix.

I don't know how I'm going to be able to make this soup again without the Vitamix. That thing is amazing. Whenever I've tried blending this soup in the past, it comes out chunky, no matter how long I blend it. The membranes of the corn kernels just refuuuuuse to break down. And straining it seems to remove half the volume of the soup. Not with the Vitamix! It really did make the soup silky smooth. (I feel like at this point I should be saying that they sponsored this post, but sadly, they did not, and I was not given a Vitamix for free just to write this post). Since I may not always have access to a Vitamix, any blender will probably work, but my old hand blender tends to give fairly paltry results.

After blending it, I added in some potatoes and about 1/4 cup of frozen, whole corn kernels. And more white pepper. Always more white pepper!



I had to cook the potatoes still, so that took more time. I should have just boiled them in water separately and then added them in. I did make sure to use the waxy variety, so they would hold their shape, although I realized that starchy would just mean thicker soup, and wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. So with all the lessons I learned from this year, here's what I'll do next time!


Corn potage


Ingredients
1 can creamed corn, no salt added (~14 oz)
1 can whole kernel corn (about 1 3/4 cup or 9 oz), 1/4 cup reserved
1 2/3 cup milk (the fattier the tastier, and anything from 1% to cream is fine, just don't use nonfat!)
~1/2 cup potatoes, small dice (optional; waxy like white or yukon gold is preferred, but whatever you have on hand is fine)
1 tsp white pepper, more to taste
2 tsp dashi granules or any powdered stock (use however much they recommend for 2 cups of water)
salt

Instructions
If using potatoes: in a medium pot, bring diced potatoes to a boil, then simmer until fork tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, and set aside.

In a medium pot*, add the creamed corn, whole kernel corn (minus the reserved 1/4 cup), milk, dashi/stock, white pepper and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.*

Using a blender, blend until very, very smooth.*

Return to the pot, taste, then add salt and more white pepper if needed. Add the cooked potatoes and 1/4 cup reserved corn. Heat on medium until just beginning to bubble, then remove from heat. Serve in your favorite mug.


Notes
* Like the one you just used to boil the potatoes in; hurray for less dishes!
The milk has a tendency to burn on the bottom, so it's best to use a nonstick pot and stir occasionally. If you're not using nonstick, then stir frequently.
* Vitamix is best, a non Vitamix is second best, and my old hand blender is worst. The final consistency is up to you--if you don't mind it chunky, then blend it until you're satisfied. But if you want a true replica of a corn potage packet, then strain out all the little bits until it's silky smooth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment