Thursday, December 31, 2015

Quick-pickled red onions

I mention this recipe in another post, but it's so good that I feel like it deserves it's own post.



Red onion is one of those things that I always find myself to have excess of. I almost never use cooked red onions, so I'm always stuck with a good half to three-quarter of a red onions left over. I'm also not a huge fan of raw onion, especially since they tend to trigger migraines for me. It's a rare occasion when I feel like I can enjoy raw onion and not have to suffer through head-splitting pain later.



No more! I've already bought red onions specifically so I can make this recipe, it's that good. I'm too impatient now to wait for leftovers. I think these may end up being a fridge staple.

Quick-pickled red onions

Ingredients
1/2 to 1 red onion*, sliced ~1/8'' thin (just slightly thicker than the thinnest slice you can get doing it by hand)
3/4 cup rice vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar

Instructions
Slice red onion. 

In small saucepan, bring rice vinegar to low boil. Stir in salt and sugar until dissolved. 

Remove from heat, stir in red onions. Let sit 5-10 minutes. Put onions into a jar*, filling with brine until onions are completely submerged. Let cool completely before screwing lid on. These will keep indefinitely in the fridge. 

Notes
*If you're using a whole red onion, increase the rice vinegar to 1 cup and use rounded half teaspoons of salt and sugar. 
*A pint (2 cup) jar is the perfect size. 

No comments:

Post a Comment